John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
A small, isolated church set some way from its village. The north wall of the nave dates from the Saxo-Norman overlap and shows the usual building `lifts` which represent each new seasons work. Some herringbone masonry dates it to the years just before and after the Conquest. High in the wall is an original Norman window whilst to the east is the outline of its blocked twin. Inside the church another outline is quickly visible - that of a round headed Norman chancel arch replaced by the present tall and narrow arch in the thirteenth century. To either side of this narrow arch is an hagioscope telling the visitor that altars stood in these positions in the medieval period. The south wall of the chancel; displays some excellent lancet windows of the same date as the arch. A few fragments of medieval glass survive. Unusually the tower stands to the north of the chancel, no doubt because it was part of that same massive rebuilding campaign.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: No return
Morning Attendance: No return
Afternoon Attendance: No return
Evening Attendance: No return
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.