John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
Harty is a small island adjoining the south-eastern corner of the Isle of Sheppey. The church is small and rustic, consisting of nave, north aisle, chancel and south chapel. There is evidence of the Norman period in a tufa arch high in the north wall. The south chapel was built in the fifteenth century and now contains the greatest treasure of the church - a fourteenth-century wooden chest or Flemish Kist, carved on the front with two jousting knights. Following a recent theft and the chests subsequent much celebrated return a superb metal screen has been installed that now secures the chapel whilst allowing visitors to view this venerable object. A further modern addition is the south nave window which shows the grazing sheep which gives the Isle of Sheppey its name. The rood screen is fourteenth century and returns along the north wall of the nave and into the north aisle and the original entrance to the loft is still visible. In the sanctuary is a fifteenth-century image niche which may well have held a statue of St Thomas Becket - for this church was on the pilgrim route by boat from London to Canterbury.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 70
Morning Attendance: 19
Afternoon Attendance: 55
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.