John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
A small and remote church at the end of the Hoo Peninsula. The usual two-cell Norman church was extended and partially rebuilt in the late twelfth century by the addition of north and south aisles, the introduction of reredos niches for the nave altars and new windows in the chancel. The aisles were demolished in the early nineteenth century, but their blocked arcades are still clearly visible. The reredos niches are both painted with thirteenth-century five-petalled flowers, whilst the southern one also shows the figure of a bearded bishop. There are the remains of two Norman windows in the nave, and a group of thirteenth-century coffin lids. Despite its medieval size the church did not possess a tower until the present one was built in 1905. It tries very hard, and is built in the right architectural style, but the fact that it is shorter than the nave means that it is a rather poor relation to others in the area. Over the south door is an unusual piece of carved stone representing a Sheila-na-gig, or pagan goddess of reproduction, displaying rather more than a lady should!
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 92
Morning Attendance: No service
Afternoon Attendance: 50
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.