John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
A dark and atmospheric church on a steep hill above the village-end. Built of flint with stone and brick work of later periods it has changed little in a hundred years. The Victorian benefactors who refurnished the church did us a great favour – keeping the best of the old whilst giving us the best of the new. Most windows are by Kempe and some are uncommonly good – especially King David in the low side window of the nave. Both nave altars had their own arch and window and the Victorian Rood Screen creates a medieval effect. In the chancel is a fine late medieval brass to one of the owners of Dane Court – the big house of the village, because it has always been on the wall it is in pristine condition. The gorgeous reredos by Powell’s showing Christ the Alpha and Omega is especially fine. Outside the gate is a good set of village stocks!
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 190
Morning Attendance: 96
Afternoon Attendance: 120
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2021.