John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
A rarity in Kent, this ragstone church sits in a delightful position on what was once the main road from Maidstone to Tonbridge. It was rebuilt in 1710 and enlarged in 1846 and the character is almost of a church the late Victorians didn't mess about with. Inside it is tall and light with a rather jaunty arrangement of ceilings (see also St Mary's Platt). Behind the altar is the original Decalogue and Lord's Prayer set there by law when the church was built. In the north transept is the fine Royal Arms signed and dated 1811 by John Adams. In the south chancel wall is a medieval window re-used as a sedilia - a very odd thing to do at the time! The church contains six fine hatchments - not all to the same family. This is unusual and allows us to study many different types of heraldry.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 200
Morning Attendance: 100
Afternoon Attendance: 100
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2021.