John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
A rather large and misshapen church entered by an irregular west tower - the result of French raids of 1380 and later neglect. The whole church was given a sympathetic restoration in 1925 when many of the Victorian alterations were softened. The medieval altar slab in the sanctuary still shows its consecration crosses, whilst nearby is a fine collection of thirteenth century floor tiles. A fine Royal Arms and a set of text boards add to the character of the church. Interesting modern stained glass shows Horne's Place chapel with an electricity pylon in the bottom corner! Another, especially fine, window of twentieth century date shows the neighbouring parish church of Fairfield.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 319
Morning Attendance: No service
Afternoon Attendance: 143
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2021.