John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
Very much a civic church, built to mirror the wealth of this market town on the banks of the Medway. Set back a little way from the High Street it has been mishandled on more than one occasion but nevertheless contains items of interest to the church-crawler. The church consist of a prominent west tower, aisled nave and chancel with an extra south aisle added in 1820 to serve the boys of Tonbridge School. In 1983 this aisle was turned into a church centre to accommodate weekday uses. The church is best known for its hatchments and memorials and separate leaflets are available for the visitor. The two most important memorials are: Lady Philadelphia Lyttleton who died in 1663 whilst attending Queen Catherine on her visit to the Wells (Tonbridge was the parish church for what we now know as Tunbridge Wells); in the north aisle is the memorial carved by Louis Francois Roubiliac to Richard Children, member of a long-established Tonbridge family who died in 1753. Particularly well-carved is the skull with bat's wings at the base.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: No return
Morning Attendance: 1220
Afternoon Attendance: 700
Evening Attendance: 600
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: 1877 Ewan Christian
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.