John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
An enormous building in an isolated position overlooking farmland. The church is entered under a tower built in the fourteenth century, which completed a westward rebuilding of a thirteenth-century church that boasted very large transepts. The Victorian east window (for which there is a design hanging on the wall) was destroyed in the Second World War and replaced by the present glass to the designs of Hugh Easton. In the north transept are some fragments of fifteenth-century glass. The pulpit is Jacobean. In the south transept are some excellent brasses including one to John Frogenhall (d. 1444), showing him wearing the SS-pattern collar of the Lancastrian cause.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 210
Morning Attendance: 210
Afternoon Attendance: No service
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.