John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
The nave and chancel of this isolated church are of equal length, providing a most unusual aspect when viewed from the east end, with their lovely roof timbers exposed. The church is rather dark, partly due to the close proximity of the surrounding trees and partly due to the poor quality stained glass. However, it is the monuments which are so appealing, nearly all of them to families who lived at Norton Court. The most eye-catching is to Benjamin Godfrey (d. 1704). The top of his monument was later utilised as a memorial to the Revd W. Lushington (d. 1842). This was not the first re-use of a Godfrey tomb, for in 1730 the name of Mrs Mary Godi was inscribed on an existing memorial nearby!
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 100
Morning Attendance: 50
Afternoon Attendance: No service
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.