John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
Set away from a dual carriageway, the spire announces a church of the nineteenth century, built on the foundations of an earlier construction. It contains some good monuments - Lady Ellenborough (d. 1819) by Chantrey, Elizabeth Buggin (d. 1659) and William Wiffin (d. 1636). The unusual cast-iron Royal Arms in the north aisle are from the reign of James II and dated 1687. The most famous furnishings, however, are the continental wood carvings in the chancel, the majority of which were given to the church by Canon Johnston, vicar here in the late nineteenth century. The reredos represents the Flight into Egypt and is in the style of Durer. The choir stalls have carvings of the Seven Acts of Mercy and the Nativity and include some nice traceried panels. Most of the woodwork is fifteenth and sixteenth century in date.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 120
Morning Attendance: 121
Afternoon Attendance: 196
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: 1850 Edwin Nash
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.