John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
Most people visit the chapel of St Nicholas Hospital in Harbledown, which is just as much a place of pilgrimage today as it was in the Middle Ages. However, the nearby church of St Michael is full of character despite the fact that it dates in the main from 1880. The south aisle is part of the original Norman church - one blocked window survives - and there is a damaged thirteenth-century piscina. There is also an unusual piece of carved stone of uncertain age which represents two bulls fighting, with a sun above them. The architect for the enlargement of 1880 was J.P. St Aubyn - never the most sensitive of architects. There is some pleasing nineteenth- and twentieth-century glass including a rare representation of the Search for the Holy Grail.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 444
Morning Attendance: 157
Afternoon Attendance: 245
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: J P St Aubyn 1880
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.