John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
This is a collegiate church, with much work of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. When the college was founded by Robert de Bredgar in 1393 the nave and south aisle were completely rebuilt. It was a case of premature enlargement, for the college was a very small foundation and seems to have used the existing north chapel for its services. In all events, the very cheap form of sedilia in the chancel - a dropped window-sill - shows that very little money was left after the completion of the west tower. This also meant that there was insufficient cash for the west door and instead of introducing a brand new feature, they re-used a Norman doorway! This reinforces the point that one should never date a wall by the architectural features within it. There is a small brass of one of the collegiate priests, Thomas Coly (d. 1518), whilst the house in which he lived survives on the opposite side of the road.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 300
Morning Attendance: 180
Afternoon Attendance: 180
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.