John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
Recently restored this church displays far more of interest than the rather severe exterior promises. The church dates from the fourteenth century and consists of nave, chancel, north aisle and west tower. The south chancel wall contains and outstanding square headed low side window which contains its original medieval ironwork, Next to it is a sedilia which has a small piece of carving from Canterbury cathedral Executed in Caen stone it depicts a Bishop and a priest. The Bishop is St Martial, first Bishop of Limoges. There are also some good brasses to Sir Arnold and Lady Savage. A late seventeenth century vicar of Bobbing was Titus Oates who plotted against the catholic supporters of the Stuart royal family, thus ensuring a place in English national history.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 250
Morning Attendance: 95
Afternoon Attendance: 97
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: R C Hussey 1863
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.