John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
This tall and slender spire can be seen for miles around and draws us to a church which, unusually for these parts, is open daily. Built in 1878 by the contractors Naylor and Son to the designs of George Low, it consists of aisled nave and apsidal chancel with a north-east tower and spire. The nave is magnificent - its 13th century style arcades marching the eye towards the apse and its soaring windows. The chancel, reached through a graceful ironwork screen is richly stencilled with the northern aumbry picked out for special treatment. The reredos depicts the Last Supper and dates from the 1890s. The glass here is of consistently good quality and includes a whole series by the firm of Barton, Kinder, Alderson dating from just after the last war. In the centre of the south aisle is a pleasant 1991 window by Nicola Kantorowicz showing the globe and a sundial - memorial to a man with a lifelong fascination in such things.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: Not built
Morning Attendance: Not built
Afternoon Attendance: Not built
Evening Attendance: Not built
Original Build Date/Architect: Low, 1881
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.