John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
What better setting could there be than at the southern end of a village green complete with cricket? The north front of Benenden church broods over its village and one doesn't really recognise just how large it is until one gets inside. Then a majestic and well-cared for building comes to view. Wide and light and all Perpendicular - mostly due to the nineteenth century architect David Brandon who remodelled the medieval building which had in turn been badly damaged in a seventeenth century fire. The reredos is a flamboyant piece of 19th century design, part of a tiled scheme which covers the entire east wall. There is a very good range of stained glass, including several figures of St George to whom the church is dedicated.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: No return
Morning Attendance: 150
Afternoon Attendance: 264
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: David Brandon 1862
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.